Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fall Fever

I finally managed to squeeze a little cash out of the monthly budget to replace the dead battery in the Ninja. After a bit of coaxing, the bike fired over and settled into a smooth idle. Since the bike's been sitting for a while, I worked my way through the preflight checklist. The oil level seemed fine, and I had filled the tank prior to parking the bike one month ago. Brake fluid and light checked out. Turn signals were operational. Time to ride.

Manslick Rd. skirts the southern edge Iroquois Park in South Louisville before topping a ridge into the St. Andrews area. For a brief four or five miles, this road twists through some marvelous fall foliage inside the Louisville city limits. And while the curves tempt a rider to push the envelope, the sheer number of mailboxes decorating the roadside provides a warning as to the possibility of vehicles entering the traffic around blind corners.

I'd forgotten about how much fun the Ninja can be on a piece of blacktop threaded through the woods. The 650, particularly following a few months on the much heavier BMW, makes me feel like a fighter pilot. The Ninja dives into the corners. The bike encourages me to hang a knee off the side. After sliding through a corner, the Ninja seems to say, "Now let's turn around and take it again like we're supposed to."

I used to believe that I didn't have room in my life for more than one machine. Today, dodging through the dappled shadows under the fading leaves, I realize that I have enough room in my life for whatever awakens that desire to see what's around the next bend in the road.

Ride safe.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I get the same feeling. I have the Concours but occasionally, I hop on my stepson's 09' Ninja 250. It doesn't have the power or speed of your 650, but it is hoot to ride on country roads or anywhere. I get your fighter pilot inference. It's when I feel air goingn through the vents of my jacket and helmet while riding the 250, I say to myself, that's how all of the vents work. On the Connie, I get no direct wind. If possible, keep both rides.

Derek said...

I think you're right. I've grown so accustomed to the fairing on the BMW that when I ride the Ninja, the amount air flowing through the gear is a shock.