Sunday, May 24, 2009

Camping and Riding the Smokies, Part One

On April 2 of this year, I squeezed a few days out of a hectic work schedule to ride into the Cherokee National Forest for a few days. When traveling by motorcycle, I'm always partial to camping by bike. It's a bit more complicated than riding up to the motel and checking in, but the rewards measure out in my enhanced peace of mind and sense of self-sufficiency. I took few photos of the ride to the area. I got a late start and worried that once I hit the mountains, I'd lose the light while trying to find a suitable campsite. However, I generally follow Route 127 south through Kentucky and into Tennessee. Route 68 branches off and passes through Tellico Plains, my usual entry point into the Smokey Mountain area.





A view of Tennessee
State Route 68.





Options for camping while riding the Smokies vary depending on the level of comfort the rider desires. Motorcycle campgrounds like Hunt's Lodge located just south of Tellico Plains on the aforementioned route 68, offer amenities sometimes lost in more primitive camping, such as hot showers and laundry facilities. Usually, I opt for one of these campgrounds and there are several to choose from in the region. They provide a more secure setting for leaving gear unattended and companionship when returning from a long day in the saddle.

I wanted more solitude than usual and chose a primitive location at Spivey Cove, a campground situated along the Tellico River. The location is over 15 miles east into the mountains from Tellico Plains. To my knowledge, there is no gas or cell phone service available once exiting Tellico Plains. Following the signs for the Cherohala Skyway will lead to Tellico River Road on which Spivey Cove campground is positioned. River Road, a single lane of asphalt, winds along the valley against the flow of the water. It's easy to let the eyes wander from the road for long stretches, but the road is shared by fisherman, kayakers, hikers, and fellow motorcyclists. Missing a curve could result in a deadly fall into the river.




River Road and the Tellico River













The road leading into Spivey Cove




Being the middle of the week, the campground hosted no occupants other than myself. I chose as remote a spot as possible relative to the campground entrance, a level shelf on the side of a hill encircled by pines. While the Cove had pit toilets, there were no showers or plumbing carrying drinking water. The only source of water, a small stream running down the mountain to feed the Tellico River. The nearest ranger station was 12 miles to the west near where River Road joins the Skyway. I arrived with enough light to set up the tent, a $30 purchase from Wal-Mart, by the way, and to gather a little firewood before settling down with a cup of coffee, a book, and the breath of the wind through the trees.





Unloading the machine










Setting up the tent













Home sweet home, at least for the next three days



2 comments:

Stephen said...

I love motorcycle camping. I've been doing it since childhood.

My buddy and I have a trip planned on our KLR650's for June 15th up in Northwestern Montana, just a stones throw from the Canadian border. Hopefully the snow will be melting out of the high country by then, most of my favorite sites up in the Rockies are still snowed in.

Just found you here, I'll have to start checking in now that I know that your here to see what you folks are up to down in your neck of the woods.

Ride Well

E.T.

Derek said...

Thanks for stopping by. That trip into the wilds of Montana sounds like a worthwhile one. I've never had the occasion to ride that far west. Something which I'll have to rectify some day.

I started motorcycle camping in college mostly because it was a cheap form of accommodation. Back then I was riding an '82 KZ440 and the money saved by camping could buy gallons of gas. What started as just a thrifty way to get around turned into a passion.

Come back anytime. Good luck planning the trip.

Be safe.