Saturday, December 6, 2008

Brrrrr...

I've been neglecting my blog for the past few weeks. Not that I haven't been riding. I've fired up the Widder vest and been riding into work each day as the weather permits. Having a 45-mile commute, I must not neglect to research the conditions for the return trip prior to leaving the house in the morning. Yesterday, the forecast was dry but cold as the area awaited the next front system to push into the region over night. I left the house at around 7:30 a.m. to the tune of 21 degrees. While the Ninja runs well in cold weather, I've experienced some difficulties with the lever blades freezing up. I sometimes have to get out a hair dryer and defrost them to avoid the levers sticking in place.

On the way home yesterday evening, I stopped to swap out the tinted face shield for the clear when an older gentlemen and his wife exiting a convenience store asked how I avoided freezing to death. At this point, the temps had risen into the lower 30's. I gave them a run down of my gear. The couple was particularly amazed at the electric vest. The old man confessed to being a rider in his younger years and recalled a tale of near freezing to death in old leather gear.

The conversation gave me the idea of posting a layer by layer account of the gear I use and how I suit up. It'll have to wait, however, until I'm feeling a bit more industrious. I've been feeling a little on the low side since getting up this morning and seeing this in the drive way.

3 comments:

Baron's Life said...

Man, this is interesting. Looking forward to reading the rest.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Derek said...

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope your Christmas and New Year were something to remember.

Bucky said...

Nice bike. ...but then, I am biased.

Here is some info on cold weather riding from my blog, Bucky's Ride:

http://buckysride.blogspot.com/2010/03/dressing-for-cold-weather-riding-take.html

http://buckysride.blogspot.com/2009/11/dressing-for-cold-weather-riding.html